What we do
Hands Group is an Australian, New Zealand and Thai social enterprise that gives at-risk Thai children and their communities a helping hand through our charity Hands Across The Water. Our charity Hands Across The Water is currently the biggest Australian and New Zealand charity operating in Thailand. Our projects are tailored to meet local communities’ needs – for the long term. As part of our fundraising we provide shared experiences for our supporters to engage in our work.
Sharing the Good
The primary purpose of Hands Group is to improve the lives of underprivileged children in Thailand. We believe the best way we can do this is by raising funds through creating meaningful shared experiences – in essence we Share the Good. We aim to enrich the lives of not only the children in Thailand, but of every person who connects with Hands.
- Through Hands Group we encourage individual growth, corporate performance and a global contribution.
- Through our development experiences such as the Future of Leadership Series and the Social Venture Program we share the good thinking, innovation and leadership.
- Through our adventure experiences such as the bike rides and the trek we share the good times, moments and achievements.
- And ultimately, through our charity Hands across the Water we share the good possibilities, education and future prospects for the children.
Hands Across The Water
Our charity, Hands Across The Water, was originally formed in after countless Thai children were left alone and homeless by the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami. Former police forensic specialist Peter Baines, working with the tsunami disaster victim identification team, was deeply touched by the number of children affected by the natural disaster and was inspired to establish an organisation that could make a real difference. In late 2005, a team of committed individuals with the desire to help others formed Hands Across The Water.
This charity was unlike many others, it was nimble, entrepreneurial and strived for goals that many thought were unattainable. Just over 12 years later, Hands has raised more than $20 million for the children and communities in Thailand and now cares for more than 350 children throughout the country.
The reason for the charity’s success is two-fold. Firstly, we don’t rely purely on donations. Instead, we create meaningful shared experiences for everyone involved with hands – experiences that truly provide food for the soul. Secondly, we believe in charity in the true sense of the word. This means:
- Our care comes without conditions
- We don’t seek to impose a religion or belief system upon those we support
- We give children the chance to grow according to their own beliefs and traditions
- Plus, 100% of donations go to the kids and their communities. No donors’ money goes to administration in Australia. Or staff costs. Or marketing. Or fundraising.
If you want to get involved you could join our annual Ride To Provide in either Thailand or New Zealand, or tackle the Trek For Good in Thailand during May. We also run team rides for organisations and bespoke programs tailored for your company’s needs. The Social Venture Program allows to use your hands, head and heart, while our child sponsorship program gives you the chance to help one of our children throughout their childhood by giving them guidance, love and support. If you want to help out but can’t decide how, simply get in touch for a chat.